The English Garden and the Theaters in Balatonfüred, 1790-1935 PDF Nyomtatás E-mail
Írta: liki   
2012. január 01. vasárnap, 08:23

 


Summary

 

When writing the application to be handed in to the local govern­ment for renewing the Little Wood (Kiserdő) in Balatonfüred, it had to be proved that it is a historic garden. The author of the present study could follow back the history of the English Garden in the southern part of the Little Wood to 1790, the history of Fenyves in the north to 1877. The English Garden was established after the bath in Balatonfüred – belonging to the abbey in Tihany – had been taken over by the royal chamber in 1786. The officials of the chamber – Baron Johann von Schilson and Mátyás Lechner – attempted, for the first time in the history of the bath, to raise it to a European level. Since parks and theatres belonged to the entertaining facilities in the monarchy, the author of this book intended to place the building history of the English Garden and theatres in Balatonfüred in the context of an international process of development.

During the research of the English Garden in turned out that it had a special function, since the first theatre, the playhouse (Játékszín) was built at the edge, whereas the summer theatre or Arena in the middle of the English Garden. The research in several archives revealed valuable sources. According to the reports of the bath doctors the building history of the theatres in Balatonfüred is different what has been assumed so far. In the Archives of County Zala old documents on the construction of the stone theatre could be found. Since they were thought to be lost, they could not be taken into account by authors of studies and monographs so far. Using them, the author of this book was able to describe the history of the constructions between 1831 and 1835. Sources of great value were the reports of Sándor Kisfaludy, governor of the theatre, and the postmaster József Fülöp, who used to be the supervisor of the construction. But the “private opinion” written by the main district administrator Lajos Varga in 1852 and attached to his report for the county leader, in which Varga summed up the mistakes made during the construction of the stone theatre, the reasons for its uselessness, the necessity of reconstruction and its financial resources, proved to be of no less importance.

According to the report made by the bath doctor in 1841, Kisfaludy himself proposed the construction of the second theatre, the Arena, which was indeed begun the same year. In 1842 theatre performances were already held in it, however, in 1846 one decided to pull it down. Before the visit of the emperor Franz Joseph in 1852, one hoped to rescue the stone theatre. Later, between 1860 and 1870, the new summer theatre was erected.

Beside the construction history, the author intended to clarify the role of the governor-director Sándor Kisfaludy, of the leaders of the theatre groups playing in Balatonfüred, as well as of the bath directors in the history of theatre construction in the area. The book has largely and multiply benefitted from the Hungarian and German financial certificates. It reveals the reasons why Sándor Kisfaludy was dis­appointed by the whole theatre construction business; it draws social-historic conclusion from the fact that the theatre construction started by the reform age generation was also continued by the so-called “Bach-hussars” after the failed 1848 revolution. The book also contains archive documents the majority of which have not yet been published, and which can now be used as a source edition.

Fordítás: V. Szabó László

Módosítás dátuma: 2012. február 07. kedd, 14:57